June Oblinger Shott Center for Extended Learning
Located in facilities on the second and third floors of the Ned E. Shott Physical Education Building, the June Oblinger Shott Center for Extended Learning (CEL), a part of the Instructional Technology Center, provides a much needed link, known as the Interactive Video Network, or IVN, for learners unable to attend classes at Bluefield State College's main campus, and for students on the main campus to take classes only offered at one of the satellite campuses.
From the distance learning classrooms, students and instructors on the Bluefield campus can interact with their counterparts in Beckley and Lewisburg. An entire audiovisual suite with document camera, Windows-equipped PC with SMART podium, VHS videocassette player, and DVD player is available at the instructor's fingertips. Three Physical Education Building classrooms are configured in this manner: PE 305 which can accommodate approximately 40 students, and normally connect to two off-campus sites. Room PE 202-A can comfortably accommodate up to twenty students while connecting to four off-campus sites, while room PE 202-F, which is intended to serve primarily as a meeting room, can handle a dozen comfortably with a very limited overflow, and like 202-A, can connect to up to four more sites.
While not physically a part of the Center for Extended Learning, there is another distance learning classroom located in the Brown-Gilbert Basic Science Building room 106 which can also be coordinated through the CEL. This room can handle up to 40 students on site, and connect to two additional off-site locations.
Unless otherwise requested, all sessions are digitally archived.
The Center for Extended Learning also has a full traditional television studio, and can output programming as DVDs or in a number of popular video file formats, as well as having a limited broadcasting ability in the Bluefield area via Comcast Cable channel six (C-SPAN). Regular programming includes the City of Bluefield Board of Directors meetings, and other governmental meetings of interest to the public. Special programming includes events of interest to the community like special presentations on the BSC campus, memorial services, parades, and of course, the college's annual Commencement Ceremony.
The Center for Extended Learning has a limited number of digital camcorders and tripods available for loan to faculty, staff, and students on a first-come, first served basis. Please contact the Center at extension 4058 for more details.
- The priorities of the CEL Staff are, in order,
- the smooth day-to-day operation of the Interactive Video Network (our primary function);
- production of programming for the classroom and archival use of Bluefield State College, and/or scheduled to be aired on Comcast Cable; and,
- other projects as time, equipment and personnel allow.
- While all IVN classrooms can theoretically be connected to any site in the world with compatible equipment, in practice, this often requires coordination with the campus network's security protocols. A lead time of several weeks for special connections is generally preferable and deeply appreciated.
- Copies of lecture archives are normally only made available with the approval of the instructor.
- Standard turn-around time for production jobs is two weeks from original request, or following the date of live event tapings.
- Loaned materials (recordings or equipment) are the responsibility of the individual borrowing them.
- Costs of repairs or replacement of lost or damaged BSC property are the responsibility of the individual checking them out, up to and including the cost of a reasonable replacement of acceptably similar capabilities.
- A currently valid BSC ID (faculty, staff, or student) or a valid state Driver's Permit or ID, must be presented when picking up property being loaned out.
- During the Spring and Fall semesters, the Center for Extended Learning is open Monday through Thursday from 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. (may be adjusted to accommodate IVN classes). Friday hours are 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m..
- Unless otherwise announced, Summer hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m..