This program equips students with the technical skills to design and construct public works, such as bridges, dams and other large infrastructure projects.
You will combine your knowledge of math, science, engineering and technology to develop real-world civil engineering solutions.
There are no special requirements to apply. In order to enroll in the program, all you need to do is select Civil Engineering Technology as your major when you apply to Bluefield State College.
Your advisor will work with you throughout your academic journey to make sure you're on track to earn your degree. Receiving the A.S. in Civil Engineering Technology requires completing the following courses:
Program Educational Objectives
- Graduates produce and utilize basic construction documents and perform basic analysis and design of system components in civil engineering infrastructure.
- Graduates function effectively on professional teams and communicate with speaking, writing, and graphical skills.
- Graduates respect professional, ethical, and social issues as well as a commitment to quality and dependability.
- Graduates remain current professionally.
- Students demonstrate an ability to apply the knowledge, techniques, skills, and modern tools of the discipline to narrowly defined civil engineering technology activities.
- Students demonstrate an ability to apply a knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering, and technology to engineering technology problems that require limited application of principles but extensive practical knowledge.
- Students demonstrate an ability to conduct standard tests and measurements, and to conduct, analyze, and interpret experiments.
- Students demonstrate an ability to function effectively as a member of a technical team.
- Students demonstrate an ability to identify, analyze, and solve narrowly defined civil engineering technology problems.
- Students demonstrate an ability to apply written, oral, and graphical communication in both technical and non-technical environments; and an ability to identify and use appropriate technical literature.
- Students demonstrate an understanding of the need for and an ability to engage in self-directed continuing professional development.
- Students demonstrate an understanding of and a commitment to address professional and ethical responsibilities, including a respect for diversity.
- Students demonstrate a commitment to quality, timeliness, and continuous improvement.
- Students utilize principles, hardware, and software that are appropriate to produce drawings, reports, quantity estimates, and other documents related to civil engineering.
- Students conduct standardized field and laboratory tests related to civil engineering.
- Students utilize surveying methods appropriate for land measurement and/or construction layout.
- Students apply fundamental computational methods and elementary analytical techniques in sub-disciplines related to civil engineering.
Number of Graduates
- 2016 - 8
- 2015 - 8
- 2014 - 9
- 2013 - 4
- 2012 - 2