Tesfaye Belay, PhD
Associate Professor, Biology
Bluefield State College
School of Arts & Sciences
219 Rock Street
Bluefield, WV 24701
- Belay T, Hospenthal DR, Rogers AL, Patterson MJ. Evaluation of antibody bearing liposomal amphotericin B in the treatment of systemic candidiasis in a neutropenic murine model. J Med Vet Mycol. 1991; 29: 419-21.
- Hospenthal D, Belay T, Lappin P, Rogers A, Kennedy M. Disseminated trichosporonosis in a neutropenic murine model. Mycopathologia. 1993; 122:115-22.
- Belay T, Cherniak R, Shinoda T. Specificity of Cryptococcus neoformans factor sera determined by Enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay and dot enzyme assay. Infect Immun. 1993; 61:2879-85.
- Belay T, Hospenthal DR, Rogers AL, Patterson MJ. Treatment of systemic candidiasis in a neutropenic murine model using immunoglobulin G bearing liposomal amphotericin B. Mycopathologia. 1993; 123:9-17.
- Cherniak R, Morris LC, Belay T, Spitzer ED, Casadevall A. Variation in the structure of glucuronoxylomannan in isolates from patients with recurrent cryptococcal meningitis. Infect Immun. 1995; 63:1899-905.
- Belay T, Cherniak R. Determination of antigen binding specificities of Cryptococcus neoformans factor sera by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay. Infect Immun. 1995; 63:1810-9.
- Belay T, Cherniak R, O'Neill EB, Kozel TR. Serotyping of Cryptococcus neoformans by dot enzyme assay. J Clin Microbiol. 1996; 34:466-70.
- Belay T, Cherniak R, Kozel TR, Casadevall A. Reactivity patterns and epitope specificities of anti-Cryptococcus neoformans monoclonal antibodies by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay and dot enzyme assay. Infect Immun. 1997; 65:718-28.
- Sonnenfeld G. Space flight, microgravity, stress, and immune responses. Adv Space Res. 1999; 23:1945-53.
- Igietseme JU, Ananaba GA, Bolier J, Bowers S, Moore T, Belay T, Lyn D, Black CM. The intercellular adhesion molecule type-1 is required for rapid activation of T helper type 1 lymphocytes that control early acute phase of genital chlamydial infection in mice. Immunology. 1999; 98:510-9.
- Igietseme JU, Ananaba GA, Bolier J, Bowers S, Moore T, Belay T, Eko FO, Lyn D, Black CM. Suppression of endogenous IL-10 gene expression in dendritic cells enhances antigen presentation for specific Th1 induction: potential for cellular vaccine development. J Immunol. 2000; 164:4212-9.
- Sonnenfeld G, Tovey M, Schellekens H, Kinney KS, Belay T, Morton DS, Austin CE, Reitman M, Fong TA, Vaughan HS. Efficacy and safety of orally/sublingually, intranasally, and intraperitoneally administered recombinant murine interferon in the treatment of murine encephalomyocarditis virus. J Interferon Cytokine Res. 2001; 21:539-45.
- Moore T, Ananaba GA, Bolier J, Bowers S, Belay T, Eko FO, Igietseme JU. Fc receptor regulation of protective immunity against Chlamydia trachomatis. Immunology. 2002; 105:213-21.
- Belay T, Eko FO, Ananaba GA, Bowers S, Moore T, Lyn D, Igietseme JU. Chemokine and chemokine receptor dynamics during genital chlamydial infection. Infect Immun. 2002; 70:844-50. PubMed
- Belay T, Sonnenfeld G. Differential effects of catecholamines on in vitro growth of pathogenic bacteria. Life Sci. 2002; 71:447-56.
- Belay T, Aviles H, Vance M, Fountain K, Sonnenfeld G. Effects of the hindlimb-unloading model of spaceflight conditions on resistance of mice to infection with Klebsiella pneumoniae. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2002; 110:262-8.
- Aviles H, Belay T, Fountain K, Vance M, Sonnenfeld G. Increased susceptibility to Pseudomonas aeruginosa infection under hindlimb-unloading conditions. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2003; 95:73-80
- Aviles H, Belay T, Fountain K, Vance M, Sun B, Sonnenfeld G. Active hexose correlated compound enhances resistance to Klebsiella pneumoniae infection in mice in the hindlimb-unloading model of spaceflight conditions. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2003; 95:491-6.
- Hernan Aviles, T. Belay, G. Sonnenfeld, B. Girten, B. Dalton and J. Barrett. 2005. Role of Gender in the Induction of Tumor Necrosis Factor-Alpha in Mice Fed a Unique Foodbar Diet. J Gravit Physiol.
- Erika Barr, S. Ouburg, J. Igietsem, S. Morre, E. Okwandu, F. Eko, G. Ifere, T. Belay, Q.He, D.Lyn, G. Nwankwo, J. Lillard, C. Black, G. Ananaba. 2005. Host inflammatory response and development of complications of Chlamydia tarchomatis genital infection in CCR5 deficient mice and sub- fertile women with the CCR5delta 32 gene deletion. J Micrbiol. Immunol. Infect. 38:244-254.
- Belay T, Aviles H, Vance M, Fountain K, Sonnenfeld G. Catecholamines and in vitro growth of pathogenic bacteria: enhancement of growth varies greatly among bacterial species. Life Sci. 2003; 73:1527-35.
- Aviles H, Belay T, Vance M, Sun B, Sonnenfeld G. Active hexose correlated compound enhances the immune function of mice in the hindlimb-unloading model of spaceflight conditions. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2004; 97:1437-44.
- Aviles H, Belay T, Vance M, Sonnenfeld G. Effects of space flight conditions on the function of the immune system and catecholamine production simulated in a rodent model of hindlimb unloading. Neuroimmunomodulation. 2005; 12:173-81.
- Belay T, Woart A. Cold-induced stress increases the intensity of Chlamydia genital infection in mice. J Microbiol Immunol Infect. 2013; 46:330-7.
- Belay T, Fu CL, Woart A. Active Hexose Correlated Compound Activates Immune Function to Decrease Chlamydia trachomatis Shedding in a Murine Stress Model. J Nutr Med Diet Care. 2015; 1:1-7.
Involvement of undergraduate students in scientific research
Student training includes biosafety, keeping records of laboratory supplies and inventory, animal handling and usage for research, basic microbiological methods, tissue culture, basic molecular biology methods (RNA/DNA isolation, quantitative PCR, gel electrophoresis), immunoassays (ELISA) development, and maintaining data in computers. Successful establishment of standard tissue culture for Chlamydia inoculation and detection methods elevates the capacity for educating and training students in biomedical research. After training, the students become involved in performing experiments. Several students present posters annually in the WV-INBRE summer research symposium, Research Day at the State Capitol, Annual Biomedical Conference for Minority Students and in the General Meeting of the American Society for Microbiology.
Student Research Projects
To Be Posted